Candle Care & Safety
At Carolina® Candle Company we want you to experience the maximum enjoyment and pleasure from our candles. We take great pride in using only the finest quality ingredients and materials. Please follow these guidelines to keep Carolina® Candle a bright and beautiful part of your life.
- Remove all packaging before lighting.
- Always place candles on a flat, level surface away from drafts and combustibles.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Use appropriate holders designed for the particular candle style.
- Keep wick(s) trimmed to 1/4” at all times.
- If smoking occurs, use a candle snuffer to extinguish the flame, trim wicks, remove trimmings, then relight.
- Keep the wick centered. It will help your candles burn evenly and protect the sides of your holder, which could be damaged by close contact with the flame.
- Never extinguish a candle by blowing, as it may cause splashing and wax spills. Always use a candle snuffer.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never move candles when lit.
- In an emergency, never try to extinguish flame with water, use baking soda to extinguish the flame.
- Store candles in a cool, dry place to avoid color fading, melting or cracking. Keep candles out of direct sunlight to prevent fading and warping.
- Over time, candles may become scratched or seem to lose their fragrance. Rub gently with a fine mesh stocking to heighten the gloss, remove any scratches and release the fragrance from your candles.
Scented Glass Jar Candles
- Handle with care. Avoid glass-to-glass contact and do not use if the jar is cracked, chipped or scratched. Do not refill with wax.
- Never allow the wick's flame to touch the jar, as it can cause breakage and become hot to the touch. Handle with care.
- If the wick 'falls' or is off-center extinguish the flame, and then use a bent paper clip to re-center the wick, then relight.
- If smoking occurs, check for drafts or high traffic areas, which may cause the flame to flicker and smoke. Be sure to trim the wicks prior to lighting to ¼".
- To minimize wax left on the sides of the jar, follow the burn time suggested for your specific candle.
- To prevent possible heat damage to the counter/surface discontinue use when 1/2" of wax remains.
Unscented Taper Dinner Candles
- Carolina Premium® Tapers are unscented to ensure the ultimate dining experience without the threat of a fragrance overpowering your cuisine.
- Carolina Premium® Tapers are ‘Drip Resistant’ which means they will burn beautifully if kept out of drafts and away from excessive heat sources
- Be sure tapers are straight, and set firmly in the taper candle holders.
- Always use wax buttons to help ensure taper safety.
Tips For Removing Wax
Below are some suggestions for removing wax spills and splatters from a variety of surfaces. Always test an area prior to tackling the entire spill to make sure the method you are using will not cause further damage.
|Nonporous surfaces (glass, plastic, glazed ceramic):||To clean your candle holders and to remove excess wax, wash the holder in hot, soapy water. Never use sharp instruments and do not place the holder in the microwave.|
The key to correcting a wax spill on carpeting is getting it taken care of as quickly as possible. Dye from the candle will permeate the carpet fibers if not taken care of in a timely manor.
Once the wax has hardened, take paper towels and place several layers over the wax spill. Place your iron on a dry, cotton setting, and move the iron over the paper towels slowly until you see evidence of the wax on the towel. The wax will absorb into the paper towel as it heats up so make sure to replace the paper towel with clean, dry sheets as needed.
*NOTE: Some synthetic carpets may melt if you set the temperature on your iron too high. Be sure to do a small test area so you can make any temperature adjustments prior to beginning.
After the majority of the wax has been removed, there might be wax or dye residue left behind. If the area is small enough, use a small amount of hot soapy water to take care of the spill. If the area is too large, consult a carpet cleaning expert in your area for suggestions or help in completing the clean up.
Do not use sharp objects to ‘chip’ excess wax nor should you use your vacuum to try and take care of the problem as that will cause damage to the carpet fibers.
|Porous Surfaces (wood, stone, concrete, unglazed ceramics, etc.):||
It may be impossible to completely remove the wax from a porous surface, as the melted wax can permeate down into the material.
To remove excess or a wax spill, wash the holder in hot, soapy water. We do not recommend letting the holder soak. Never use sharp instruments and do not place in the microwave.
|Small tabletop spills:||Depending on how large the wax spill is, we recommend placing a hot soapy cloth over the area to help soften the wax, remove any residue, rinse and repeat. You can then buff away any remaining wax residue.|
Note: Follow the garment tag for cleaning instructions. Once the wax has been removed, for machine-washable fabrics, rub in a small amount of laundry soap then wash per the garment instructions. Dry clean only garments should be taken to your local professional dry cleaner.